Day 22 – Train Up A Child
How I have clung to this promise time and time again – and I still do! There is nothing in life that has a life-time guarantee! However, the Lord has shown me that this verse does have a guarantee if my husband and I do our job first. This guarantee is conditional. The promise of them not departing when they are old will only happen if we, as parents, train our children in the way they should go. No training, no promise.
Training comes in many forms: salvation/Bible, manners, chores, etc. However, all forms have one thing in common and that is the trainer must have that experience in order to do the training. How can you train your child in the Bible if you are not in your Bible? How can you teach manners if you have no manners yourself? How can you teach chores if you’re lazy? I think you get my point.
God’s Word teaches how we can become good and effective trainers to our children in
Here we have a clear, concise training manual to follow. How many times have I heard parents say that babies do not come with a training manual! Oh, but we do have a training manual in our very own Bibles.
Our training manual tells us in Deuteronomy to do the following:
- Words shall be in my own heart – I should memorize it and apply it
- I should teach my children diligently not just when it suits me
- I should teach my children throughout the day using every opportunity
- I should have the Word so entrenched in my heart and life that they are ever present before me and guide me
- My eyes should continuously/daily be focused on the Word
- The Word should be everywhere in my home and I should be a living example of the Word in action
When a trainer lives by this training manual, how can his child go wrong? The trainer is then assured that his child won’t depart from this teaching when he is old. This is when the guarantee kicks in, dear Christian. If you leave your child to his Sunday School teacher, you cannot claim this promise. You, personally, have to be the one to take charge in this training.
Guide me as I train your child
Not just in word but in all I do
Using every chance I get
Lovingly leading him to You