The word “pride” or proud has been hijacked by the liberal agenda today. Sadly, it has become totally the opposite of what the Scriptures intended. The first sin committed was the sin of pride and that was committed by Lucifer.
It is not surprising that the Scriptures state that being proud is a sin! The definition has changed through the years but God’s Word never changes! It is settled, once and for all in Heaven. (Psalm 119:89) Look at the difference between the definition originally intended for the word “proud” and what today’s dictionary describes:
noah webster’s 1828 dictionary
- Having inordinate self-esteem; possessing a high or unreasonable conceit of one’s own excellence, either of body or mind. A man may be proud of his person, of his talents,of his accomplishments or of his achievements. He may be proud of any thing to which he bears some relation. He may be proud of his country, his government, his equipage, or of whatever may, by association, gratify his esteem of himself. He may even be proud of his religion or of his church. He conceives that any thing excellent or valuable, in which he has a share, or to which he stands related, contributes to his own importance, and this conception exalts his opinion of himself. Proud is followed by of, before the object, supra.
- Arrogant; haughty; supercilious.
the american heritage dictionary
- Feeling pleasurable satisfaction over an act, possession, quality, or relationship by which one measures one’s stature or self-worth.”proud of one’s child; proud to serve one’s country.”
- Occasioning or being a reason for pride.”a proud moment when she received her diploma.”
- Feeling or showing justifiable self-respect.”too proud to beg.”
Is it any wonder that the world doesn’t see pride as a sin? But friend, it truly is! This sin of pride is from the devil himself. The Lord Jesus humbled Himself, leaving a kingly throne and became man so He could be the sacrifice for man’s sins. Humbleness is not taught today and it is so desperately needed!
Exo 10:3 And Moses and Aaron came in unto Pharaoh, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, How long wilt thou refuse to humble thyself before me? let my people go, that they may serve me.
2 Chron 34:27 Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard thee also, saith the LORD.
Pride is not something to one should practice as a Christian. Instead, humbling ourselves is far better. If you are not truly born-again, you won’t see today’s topic as a sin. But there is coming a time when it will be too late for you to repent and be saved. It is no coincidence that God has placed you here for such a time as this so that you may be saved if you are not already. Please click here and the link will open up in a separate tab You Can Be Born Again and Know It!